Friday, January 11, 2008

A Rare Political Moment

As I mentioned earlier in This post I'm not a fan of discussing politics. I am a fan of following politics and politics in general, but I came to a conclusion a long time ago that politics and friends are like oil and water. If you add alcohol to that it becomes like oil and water with a lit stick of dynamite, a much deadlier combination. With that said I had a couple of thoughts about the election so far that I felt I needed to put down.

Let me get this straight Hillary Clinton won New Hampshire after breaking down and crying. I have two opinions on this, first of all there is some doubt on my part as to whether or not the crying was real or staged. Though I like to think of her as an evil entity trying to gain sympathy I'm more of the opinion that it was in fact real. Which brings me to my next point. Women are highly emotional and volatile creatures. We all know this. All men have been witness to or victim of one of those 180 mood swings that throw off the balance of the earth. It's part of their nature, without being too stereotypical, it's true.

Women have more emotions and they use them. I don't know how to cry, I'm not bragging it's the way I grew up. I know many of you are the same. What happens when Hillary has a mood swing in office. Once a month there will be upheaval in foreign policy, economic planning, government spending, something. I also think that Hillary is not necessarily winning this election. I think a lot of people just want to see Slick Willie C. back in the White House. It's like well now that we don't have to worry about him leading the Free World, let's see what fun adventures he takes us on.

My next thought revolves around Mike Huckabee. Gov. Huckabee was out of the race before he entered it. But he did something genius that might just pay off for him. He picked the best possible running mate. Stephen Colbert. Yes I am a huge Colbert fan, and I'm not sure of Colbert's political abilities (esp. since he is playing a character on his nightly TV show) but people love the guy and that has to have something to do with Huckabee's rise in Iowa.

There are almost 1.5 million members of the 1,000,000 strong for Colbert Facebook group. Let's assume that at least 85% of these 1.5 million are above the age of 18 and a US citizen. That means they're potential voters. I gotta figure at least a few hundred thousand are going to swing their vote his way if he really is Huckabee's Veep. Gov. Huckabee entered the race in 6th, won Iowa and got 3rd in New Hampshire. The support of Colbert could be enough to get Huckabee into the Final two and an actual chance at winning the party's nomination, and a major place to see what is possible is the upcoming South Carolina caucus. Stephen Colbert's home state, and the one he was planning on running in, plus he was on the Report last night, and showed his great sense of humor.

And on a completely serious note. Huckabee could take down Obama or Hillary. It's not definite but I think he is the Republican party's only chance. And he's going to need Colbert on his side and potentially as a serious running mate for political strategizing. He also has some issues where he is firmly Republican (Fence, Gay Marriage, Abortion) but he's pretty moderate in other areas. He also is strongly for economic idependence, energy independence, and making America more self-sustaining. Do I think he will win the Republican nomination? not really, do I think he can? possibly, and could he be the next President? slim, but if he runs with Colbert it will be really interesting to see what happens.

0 comments: