Thursday, July 31, 2008

Brett Favre, You're Making Me Play Devil's Advocate With Myself


Sac-religious? Absolutely, and Dom will be seizing in his cubicle when he reads this, but give me B. Fav-ray any day over the mess that is Rex.
I've been playing devil's advocate over this for a little while because as a Bears fan you cannot like anything about the Packers- and trust me those cheese head contraptions make me have to look away I'm so embarrassed for Packers fans, but Brett Favre is great, and I believe will still be great and if he were to get traded to Chicago, I think it'd be great.
Here's where my wish- washing comes into play, the Packers have committed to Aaron Rodgers as their quarterback and are not considering Favre.
I get that, I think that when he retired they had to "pick up the pieces" and move on, and they moved on with Rodgers ( who is handling this situation with grace and class), Rodgers doesn't deserve to have this opportunity taken away from him because Favre changed his mind. Yet, Favre says that he was never fully committed to retiring but felt pressure from the organization- ugh he's pulling at my older adult glory complex.
Favre then goes on to admit that he doesn't feel welcomed in Green Bay, I can only assume this means by the organization because I'm sure there are 100,000 cheese loving Brett-Head's that would run naked through the streets of Green Bay in January to see their hero back on Lambeau field.
I feel sorry for the guy- I can't help it; he feels pressure to make a decision on retiring, he makes the wrong one, he wants to play again, he's a legend in Green Bay, he loves his fans and he wants to play there for the organization that made him great, but yet the Packers don't want him- it's frustrating my brain.
Next, and this is where my loyalty goes to team Brett- the Packers come out and offer Favre 20 million to stay retired or say that they are considering taking a deal with one of their NFC North rivals most likely the Minnesota Vikings or the Chicago Bears... if all else fails to trade him. This is after they wanted to send him to the T.B. Bucs or the New York Jets.
Let me brake it down for you Mark Murphy Brett Favre is old school, he doesn't wear bling he doesn't have stashes of guns and drugs he is a good old boy from Hattiesburg Mississippi and he wants to stay in Wisconsin. Send him to Tampa, he's gotta learn Floridian culture, he's not old enough to sit in a nursing home and he's not young enough to go clubbing- he doesn't fit in. New York, maybe the Giants but the Jets... no where near good enough for him, come on. Minnesota? Wasn't it not long ago that the Vikings crew was getting busted on a boat with copious amounts of alcohol and strippers- not for Favre.
I think Brett Favre deserves respect, he earned it he should get it. This isn't a Karl Malone, Gary Patton type situation where they play their whole careers in one place and move to Los Angeles to win a Championship, the man just wants to play football, and trying to give him 20 million to stay retired is a slap in the face.
My solution, bring him to the Bears. I love it- it's a great idea, put Rex back on the bench that he should have never left and left Favre have his glory. We might need to stroke Urlacher's ego more this season because God knows he has a super hero complex, but we can do it and we might actually do something productive. Favre would still be in the NFC North, he'd still be in the mid west and he's familiar with Chicago.
My inner devil is silenced, I feel at peace with this thought. Favre in Chicago ' 08
Dom you can now stop seizing.

8 comments:

4Real said...

I couldn't agree more. Listen I almost feel like you don't deserve him because you can only pass on greatness so many times. You passed on Craig Krenzel. Deal with Orton and Rex. You dug your own grave.

Dom said...

I don't want Favre, and Urlacher was on the Dan Patrick show this morning and he doesn't want Favre either. Favre is just an overly glorified version of Rex the gunslinger. We've got Favre, he would be responsible for maybe a 1 or 2 game turnover, and the games we would need to win most would be at the end of the season. Brett's old, he might think he still has it, he might have looked like it for a portion of last season but look at the last 6 and a half games he threw 9 picks because he forces terrible throws into triple coverage, he doesn't have it anymore, especially in the cold, like Chicago. He might deserve respect from Green Bay but not from me or the rest of the City of Chicago

Dom said...

PS I was a Krenzel guy, at least now he has time to cure cancer.

Garnes said...

Dom first, Brett Favre and Rex Grossman are not comparable, it's not even gonna happen. Second, I would like to think that the people of Chicago appreciate talent and recognize a good adversary when they see one, and in Favre they do that- I think they could be able to come to terms with it. Oh Brian stop complaining- you have a better chance of getting your desire ring with Brett than with Rex.

4Real said...

Garnes Dropping Truth Bombs. You're right he doesn't have it...how many games did the Packers win last year? How many did the Bears? Oh and good point about playing in the cold weather like in Chicago...I hear Green Bay is lovely during the winter. I suggest picking up a map.

Dom said...

My point was the back half of the season when it started getting colder and Favre was wearing down. He went 3-2 in the last 5 games in cold weather (Soldier and Lambeau) with 9 TDs 1 Fumble, and 5 INTs. Besides we've already got enough money locked up all over the team, paying for Favre who will not make enough of a noticeable difference, is insane. It's not even about the rivalry, Favre is not the same quarterback he was 8 years ago. Plus they were in the bottom 10 for the strength of schedule last year.

Garnes said...

In the month of December ( cold in both Green Bay and Chicago) heres how the boys line up:

Rex Grossman:

51.9% passes complete
310 yds. average
1 TD
0 INT
6 Sacks


Brett Favre:

62.5% passes complete
743 yds. average
6 TD
5 INT
1 Sack


I'll give you Favre has a lot of interceptions in the colder months of winter- but at least he's not afraid to throw the ball and most NFL players don't put a bounty on his head to see how many times they can sack him just for the fun of it- even Brian Urlacher admitted that he'd like to sack Grossman just to see how it felt.

Dom said...

I don't want Rex either, I'm just saying the difference between Rex and Favre isn't enough to explain trading away talent for Favre, unless the trade was Grossman and a 1st round for favre and a 2nd round draft pick.