Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Slap Shot = Tampa Rays?

As many of you may be aware, I love Sports Movies. One of my All Time Favorites is 1977's Slap Shot. I don't think I need to re-tell the plot to you. If you have seen it you know plenty about the movie and if you haven't then go get your husband and have him explain it to you or you won't understand most of these references. It is one of the greatest cinematic masterpieces of All-Time. And yes I do feel like James Lipton right now.


As many of you ALSO might be aware I enjoy finding comparisons between sports movies and sports further blending the confusion or should I say delusions I have between reality and "make believe". I've done it on more than a few occasions most recently in comparing Nuke LaLoosh (fictional character) to John Bale (idiot pitcher). So it should come as no surprise that I have found a comparison to one of my favorite sports movies of all time, yet again.


In the movie Slap Shot they are a floundering franchise. Threat of a move to Florida and they start to play well. They do this by fighting every other player, playing as dirty as possible and bringing in the thug Hanson Brothers. Again, if you haven't seen this movie don't you want to now? Hear Paul Newman berate Hanrahan about Suzanne his wife. Watch the Hanson's start a fight during the National Anthem.


Anyhow it got me thinking, this sounds oddly familiar. The aging minor league player/unsuccessful manager (Joe Maddon) firing up his young team. I'm pretty sure Upton, Longoria, and Navarro still bring their toys on Road Trips too.


Haven't there been an interesting amount of altercations thus far. They fought the Yankees during preseason, much like the Charleston Chiefs fought the Patriots during pregame warm-ups. They fought the Red Sox after a handful of dirty plays. And most recently They fought each other in a game against Texas. I can only imagine James Shields, after intentionally hitting Crisp before the brawl, going back to Maddon seeking approval and asking to be called "Killer".


I mean, was I the only one who saw the following picture during Spring Training?

0 comments: